Move over, cavemen! People who adopt a plant-based diet lose weight faster than the ones on other forms of diet, especially the non-vegetarian diet as per a study published in the Journal of General Internal Medicine.
When you follow a vegetarian diet, you get to form a strong bond with fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. All these are a rich source of fiber that digests slowly and keeps you satiated for long enough. Individuals who consume meat experience loathing, stomach discomfort, and gas and lose weight slower than the ones who eat plant-based foods.
How plant-based diets help you in losing weight?
There are a few reasons that give a plant-based diet an advantage over non-vegetarians diet when it comes to weight loss and management. Here are the reasons why-
- They are rich in fiber: Plant-based foods such as whole grains, fruits, and fresh vegetables are packed with fiber that keeps you feeling full for longer periods of time and thus aids weight loss and management. You stay away from cravings and fiber also improves your digestion.
- Low fat intake: By ruling out eggs, meat, and cheese from your diet, you ultimately reduce your fat intake. This helps you in losing weight and you can save yourself from putting up extra kilos.
- Rich in complex carbs: A plant-based diet is rich in complex carbohydrates along with fiber and other essential nutrients that are quintessential for maintaining healthy body weight.
- Satiating foods rich in protein: Various researches have shown that plant-based foods such as legumes that include peas, pulses, and lentils, promote weight loss as they are a rich source of protein. Plant protein contains all 9 essential amino acids that make it a complete protein which is ideal for losing weight.
- The fruity delight: The best thing about a plant-based diet is the variety of fruits that you get to enjoy. Fruits and even vegetables contain flavanoids that are extremely helpful for weight management. A study revealed that people who consume more berries, pepper, and citrus fruits have a low body weight as compared to those who either do not consume these or consume in very fewer quantities.
- Metabolism booster: Plant-based foods are a great source of enhancing your metabolism. A faster metabolism allows you to stay lean as your body’s capacity of burning calories goes up when you have a fast metabolism.
Here are some quick tips to let you enjoy maximum benefit from plant-based diets and lose weight quickly:
- Make fiber your best friend: Try to eat at least 40g of fiber in a day. You can easily get it from fresh vegetables, fruits, legumes, and whole grains. Fiber is extremely helpful in suppressing cravings and keeps you full for long periods of time. It also boosts the health of your digestive system and supports weight loss. Don’t underestimate the power of greens: Green leafy vegetables are a potent source of various nutrients like magnesium, iron, calcium, and folate. Plus, they are very low in calories. Do not leave them out while having your meal.
- P for Plant & P for Planning: Planning & Organizing are the keys to success. Always plan your meals beforehand so that you can save yourself from the last moment hustle. Keep your refrigerator stocked with fresh fruits, vegetables, and other things you can have in your meals. Your kitchen cabinet should be stocked with all healthy options.
- WTF: Water- The Favorite! Water is the best possible liquid on this earth that is calorie-less and not only keeps you hydrated but helps with weight loss. It also improves your metabolism and digestions. Keep yourself hydrated.
- Don’t forget to sleep: Just like you don’t forget to breathe! Getting enough sleep every day is very important along with consuming a plant-based diet. People who sleep less tend to binge eat and gain weight. Also sleeping for lesser hours can slow down you metabolism and affect your body adversely. So make sure you are tucked in your bed at the right time and have a sound sleep.
Finally, here’s the key to having a nutritious plant-based meal-
It contains everything you need to get all the essential nutrients on a daily basis- legumes, grains, fruits, and vegetables. To meet your daily nutrient requirements, include these foods in the center of your plate for every meal. Include a variety of foods so that you can get all the essential nutrients.
You can also take plant protein supplements to boost your protein intake while consuming plant-based foods. If you want to lose weight while on a plant-based diet, these supplements can help. You can try out our pure plant-based supplements here.